- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What Factors Affect the Resistance of an Electrical Conductor?
- Essay length: 3411 words
- Submitted: 11/07/2002
The first 200 words of this essay...
Leanne Heath 10 Derby 1
What Factors Affect the Resistance of an Electrical Conductor.
The key factor I am going to investigate is what affect different lengths of wire has on the resistance of the wire.
Resistance is the force which opposes the flow of electrons through an electrical conductor. Resistance occurs when the negatively charged electrons travelling along the current in the wire collide with the positively charged atoms of the wire. Hence the atoms are the property which opposes the flow of electrons. These collisions slow down the flow electrons, causing resistance. The electrons have to try to avoid, or travel around the atoms, therefore the flow of current is slowed down. The amount, size and density of atoms have an effect on resistance. The circuit itself holds some resistance.
There are 3 factors which can affect resistance. These are :
* The material of the wire
* The length of the wire
* The diameter of the wire
The material of the wire is a very important factor. Different wires contain different numbers of atoms. Some wires have lots of atoms, whereas others
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Electricity and Magnetism (view all)
- The aim of my experiment is to see how the resistance of a f...
- Electromagnets - What factors affect strength of an electrom...
- Resistivity Coursework
- How Michael Faraday changed the world
- An Experiment To Find the Resistivity of a Wire
- Determining Voltage, Resistance and Current in a Parallel, S...
- Resistance of a Wire - Triple Science
- Physics Project Maglev Trains
- Static Electricity.
- Resistance of a wire coursework
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.