- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Lab Enzymes Activity
The first 200 words of this essay...
The effect of different pH value
on the activity of enzymes
Amylase is an enzyme which catalyses hydrolytic digestion of polysaccharides. In human's serum 8 isoenzymes of alpha-amylase can be detected. They all come from pancreas, salivary glands, mucous membrane, mammary gland, ovaries and testes.
Contact of food with mucous membrane of oral cavity and even the very view or smell of food causes secretion of saliva. Saliva is produced in the amount of about 0,5 liter per 24 hours and is of pH 7,0. Solid foods in oral cavity are fragmented and mixed with saliva. Saliva contains enzyme digesting polysaccharides called 'salivary alpha - amylase (salivary amylase)'.
The salivary amylase causes initial digestion of foods in the digestive system.
The aim of this investigation is learning how enzyme amylase's activity and speed of digestion is influenced by different pH levels.
As amylase is secreted in saliva and pH of saliva is 7,0 pH we assume that this value of pH is an optimal value for the activity of this enzyme. The amylase therefore will best digest starch when pH
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Biology (view all)
- affect of light intensity on rate of photosynthesis
- Biology: Lab report Germination
- Seed Germination Experiment. How would different levels of t...
- : Hormone Levels During the Menstrual Cycle
- Biology HL IA - Photosynthesis of elodea lab report
- Explain how water moves from the soil into the plant
- Genetically Modified Food
- Are Viruses Alive?
- Ecological studies of rice (Oryzae Sativa) populations
- Monohybrid Crosses in Maize Cobs
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo