- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Leadership is important in influencing behaviour in sport.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Leadership is important in influencing behaviour in sport. Team captains, managers, coaches, teachers all need leadership qualities. Barrow saw leadership as the behavioural process influencing individuals and groups towards set goals. Leadership involves personal relationships and affects the motivation of individuals and groups.
An effective leader has a number of qualities; no single quality will ensure effectiveness on its own. Leaders should have good communication skills, high motivation, enthusiasm, have a clear goal of what needs to be achieved, empathy, have a good knowledge of the sport and charisma. Some of these characteristics may be learned or some may be innate.
Early psychologists came up with the "Great Man Theory," suggesting people were born with leadership characteristics, whereas more recent studies refute this claim arguing that social learning theory is more relevant. The "Great Man Theory" states that leaders are usually male and are born to be leaders because they have certain personality traits. This theory ignores situational factors and interactions with others, and on its own has very little value.
The interationist theory proposes that the personality of an individual is formed due to a combination of their innate traits
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Management Studies (view all)
- Fitness Plus is a full-service health and sports club situat...
- Critically evaluate the arguments for Corporate Social Respo...
- An example of a personal development plan
- Ryanair the low-fares airlines. Strategy and leadership ca...
- Leadership Theories - this review seeks to determine which t...
- Managing Strategic Change (MBA work ). In this report ,I w...
- Case Study of Orenton Luxury Goods entry into the Chinese ma...
- Shareholder (liberal market) vs stakeholder (cooperative mar...
- SkandiaBanken Case Study: 1. Analyse SkandiaBanken using the...
- Business Strategy and Economical analysis of Danone
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.