- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
A Response to Richard Vernon's Article - The Federal Citizen
The first 200 words of this essay...
A Response to Richard Vernon's Article:
The Federal Citizen
Prof. Mellon 29th
In this response I will attempt to prove that federalism is not an ideologically determined system, and that the basis of its structure is visible in all types of political orientation, such as the United States, the former Soviet Union and Canada. In this response to Richard Vernon's article The Federal Citizen, I will attempt to prove that the essence of federalism is actually a general theme that is available for extraction in all levels of human interaction, from the individual in society to the highest level of supra-government. As Vernon concludes, the three conceptions which necessitate federalism as a constitutional entity are; "democratic responsiveness, the openness of choice of identification, and the preservation of politics from (unqualified) nationalism."1
To begin an assessment of Vernon's argument for federalism it is first necessary to have a working definition of what this system is and what the goals of its implementation are. It appears to be the idea of 'dual citizenship', which distinguishes the aspirations of federalism from
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
UK Government & Parliamentary Studies (view all)
- Where does decision-making power lie in the British executiv...
- Explain the role and importance of Federalism in the Constit...
- The doctrine of Cabinet collective responsibility.
- The Definition of Public Administration.
- What is the policy-making process? In your view, which is th...
- Scottish Devolution
- The Beveridge report and the formation of the Welfare State.
- Does the Media have too much political power in Britain?
- Does Northern Ireland need some kind of truth recovery proce...
- British European Security Essay. COMPARE AND CONTRAST THE D...
""Zoey. University Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.