- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Outline and critically review the principal arguments in The Kuhnian View by Haines-Young and Petch!!! Thomas Samuel Kuhn was born on July 18, 1922, in Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
The first 200 words of this essay...
Outline and critically review the principal arguments in The Kuhnian View by Haines-Young and Petch!!!
Thomas Samuel Kuhn was born on July 18, 1922, in Cincinnati, Ohio, United States. Kuhn went on to become one of most influential philosophers of science of the twentieth century and some would say the most influential. His book The Structure of Scientific Revolutions is one of the most cited academic books of all time. His contribution to the philosophy science marked not only a break with several key positivist doctrines but also inaugurated a new style of philosophy of science that brought it much closer to the history of science.
The main argument of The Structure of Scientific Revolutions is that science is not solely based on reason. Kuhn believes that factors such as race, age and culture all effect science. Kuhn believes that a paradigm is a traditional accepted idea which can be affected by sociological factors such as education and textbooks. "According to Kuhn the development of a science is not uniform but has alternating 'normal' and 'revolutionary' phase" (http://plato.stanford.edu). These revolutionary phases are not just periods of quick progress, but differ largely from normal science. Normal science
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Theory (view all)
- Outline some of the main differences between quantitative an...
- Counselling theory. In this essay I shall analyse the philos...
- What are the main features of Marshall's theory of citizensh...
- Assess the merits and limitations of the ideas Sigmund Freud
- Critically consider the manifest and latent functions of sch...
- What is the social ecological model? How can this perspectiv...
- Analysis on the Short Film "Ronans Escape" Using t...
- Theories on the Family
- In this essay, I will examine the subject of celebrity cultu...
- The Development of Sociology in the Age of Enlightenment.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.