Black body radiation - Radiation is emitted from all objects above absolute zero; the rate of energy per unit area per unit time is proportional to T4.

Authors Avatar

Black body radiation

Introduction

Radiation is emitted from all objects above absolute zero; the rate of energy per unit area per unit time is proportional to T4.

P=εAσT4   PαT4

P= power Watts

ε= emissivity unit less constant related to the colour and reflectivity

σ=Stephan’s constant Wm-2k-4

T=temperature Kelvin

The peak wavelength of the radiation emitted can be calculated from Wein's displacement law which states λmT=2.898x10-3 where λm is the peak wavelength.

I will be investigating Wein’s displacement law and the emissivity of a number of different surfaces.  I will also be investigating how power affects temperature using Stefan’s power law.

Experiment 1

I will be using a computer program to simulate various temperatures and recording the peak wavelength (λm) that corresponds to a number of temperatures.  I will then be plotting a graph of λm against 1/T, the gradient of which should be 2.898x10-3 mK.  I will compare my results with Wein’s displacement law (see example below).

Join now!

Experiment 2

I will fill a cube with different emissivities on each side with boiling water and record the temperature it boils at as the pressure in the room will probably not be 1 atmosphere so the water will not boil at exactly 1000C.  I will record a reading of mV from a thermopile.  As one of the sides is black, I will assume it is an ideal blackbody with an emissivity of 1.  By then dividing the mV reading from the 3 other sides by this value, I will be able to determine their emissivity ...

This is a preview of the whole essay