- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Rapport created in Chicago speech by Barack Obama
Are you in the right place?
Jump to English Language and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
In this study I will be analysing the speech of Barack Obama in two different contexts. The first speech is his victory speech in Chicago on the 4th November 2008. The second is his campaigning speech in Iowa. These speeches depict Obama in both a formal and less formal situation. It is important that we realise that his strategies have changed.
Barack Obama creates rapport with the audience during his victory acceptance speech in many ways. He creates an immediate bond with the audience as he begins his speech by saying, "Hello Chicago!" He then pauses for a minute in order for the citizens of America to welcome him as the USA's president. Then he addresses the people who had not voted for him because they thought he was not capable of leading America and then thanking the thousands of voters that gave him his victory. The effective line "tonight is your answer", uses personal pronouns to engage the audience and involve them in his success.
Obama thanks his "partner", this shows the close friendship between himself and his colleagues before thanking his own family. This shows the gratefulness towards the Americans for making him president.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Language: Context, Genre & Frameworks (view all)
- "Words are more treacherous and powerful than we think&...
- Text transformation
- Irregularities - essay
- To what extent do symbolic representations such as language,...
- Compare the use of language of the two editorials
- Write a critical analysis of the text you have read. Isabel...
- Two texts that portray food to lack comfort and nourishment ...
- JFK Inaugural Address Analysis
- Reflect on some aspects of your own personal talk (idiolect)...
- Analyse the growth of linguistic development in children. T...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.