- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
How limestone formed.
The first 200 words of this essay...
How limestone formed?
Most limestones in our part of the world formed in
shallow seas that covered our area hundreds of
millions of years ago.
Other names for limestone
We use the scientific name "limestone" for this rock,
but it is also known by many other names:
When limestone is crushed into gravel and
used for building roads or making concrete, it's often called an aggregate.
Here are some ways to classify limestone (by grouping it with similar types of rocks):
Geologists have a catch-all term that includes both limestone and dolostone. They call them carbonate rocks.
Limestone is a sedimentary rock.
How to recognize limestone
Limestone is mostly light to dark gray in color.
Its grains can be mud-sized, so that the rock looks dull, or they can be sand-sized or larger bits of broken shell or other limey material.
You can scratch limestone into white powder with a nail or knife. (See more about the scratch test.)
Limestone is made mostly of the mineral calcite, so it bubbles gently when you put a drop
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Rocks & Weathering (view all)
- What Really Happened at Pompeii on 24th August AD79?
- The social and economic advantages and disadvantages of lime...
- Classifying Igneous Rocks
- Erosional Landforms on the Dorset Coastline
- In this Essay I will inform you of the social, economic and ...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.