- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Critically evaluate research into eating disorders - Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Critically evaluate research into eating disorders
Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa
Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa are the two main types of eating disorders that have been found, mainly in the western world.
The term Anorexia Nervosa means Loss of appetite, but sufferers of Anorexia Nervosa do not actually have a loss of appetite, in fact most of the people with Anorexia have normal appetites and will most likely be very hungry, but they will still behave as if they have lost their appetite. The A.P.A (American Psychiatric Association) (1994) states that Anorexia occurs in 0.5-1.0 % of females in late adolescence or early adulthood.
The main characteristic of Anorexia Nervosa is the constant obsession of bodyweight and sufferers will usually be under the minimum expected bodyweight but will still be afraid of putting on weight or gaining body fat. Their food intake is usually restricted to 600-700 calories per day.
Bulimia Nervosa sufferers are very different they tend to induce themselves in secret binge eating, but then rid their bodies of the food usually by self induced vomiting, the over use of laxatives or sometimes by excessive exercising. Unlike
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Healthcare (view all)
- In this essay I will be outlining key legislation and regula...
- Personal & professional development in Health & Soci...
- How is anti-discriminatory practice is promoted in health an...
- Identify key aspects of legislation and guidelines relevant ...
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of staff in relation...
- Food Safety -unit 3 health and social care
- Describe the role of energy in the human body
- Unit 5 Anatomy and physiology in health and social care
- Unit 4 P4, P5 & D2. Development Through The Life Stages
- Improving access to sexual health services
- p1: explain the purpose and role of research for the health ...
- Understand why effective communication is important in the w...
- Promoting a healthy environment for children. Legislation a...
- Investigating Diseases. I will be looking at and comparing c...
- Describe physical, intellectual, emotional and social develo...
""Zoey. University Student.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student