- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Should American student athletes be paid? One side of the argument is the acceptance of pay for student athletes representing their school. This is opinion is valid because athletics brings in excess revenue for the universities, they are dedicated and sp
The first 200 words of this essay...
The topic of whether or not student athletes should be paid or not paid has been a trending topic in the sport industry. One side of the argument is the acceptance of pay for student athletes representing their school. This is opinion is valid because athletics brings in excess revenue for the universities, they are dedicated and spend numerous hours at practice and on the playing field, and mostly because they are providing a service to the school. Others have the opposite opinion and believe that student athletes should not be receiving other payment because most are already receiving college tuition. As a result, they are students first and athletes second so they should not be paid for their involvement on a collegiate athletics. "Athletes attend college as a privilege and are provided the unique opportunity to earn a degree and at the same time compete in intercollegiate athletics. That opportunity is incongruent with the notion of being an employee" (Cooper, 2011). Colleges and universities need to keep in mind that the student athletes' main reason for attending is for an education, not to play a varsity sport. They are still held to the same standards as a student who
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Contemporary Studies (view all)
- Roles and responsibilities of a sports coach
- Sports development continuum
- Safeguarding Children - Dangers of Abuse and Legislation
- Barriers to participation in sport
- football coaching, work experience
- Football rules, Laws and Regulations
- The focus of this assignment is on the coaching behaviour ex...
- Current Issues in Athletics
- Threats to the Olympic Ideals
- Choose one or two sporting personalities that you admire and...
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.