• Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

Outline and evaluate two theories relating to the functions of sleep

Extracts from this document...


Chris Stokell Outline and evaluate two theories relating to the functions of sleep The 1st theory I have chosen to look at is the problem solving theory the thinking being it is basically when you are asleep you dream, and these dreams may help you solve waking problems that you may have. Examples of this are the inventor of the automatic sowing machine who had a problem with the hole in the needle. One night he had a dream and from it became inspired and so moved the hole to the bottom of the needle enabling it to work and solving his problem. ...read more.


Another is that we only remember on average 5% of our dreams so are the other 95% solving problems but we don't remember them. It isn't likely and even if it were the surely we would remember them in order to solve our problem. A positive point is it is one of the oldest theories (Greeks, Egyptians) and is still believed by many you be true so it must have at least a small amount of truth to it The second theory I have chosen to do is Freud's wish fulfilment theory which states we dream about what we desire or "disguised expressions of the unconscious desires and impulses." ...read more.


Those with the most guilt and panic were less likely to start smoking again the study does not show how the dreams were useful though. The most positive criticism of this theory is that it was the first systematic theory of dream functions and that the dreams can provide us with information from the unconscious that we would not have previously had. However, it is improbable that there is much repression of unacceptable desires in today's liberal and permissive society. Also Hayes (1994) stated that is dreams are wish fulfilling then there should be a stronger food and eating content. Finally like the problem solving it is hard to test and will probably never be proved 100% right or wrong wither way. ...read more.

The above preview is unformatted text

This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our AS and A Level Physiological Psychology section.

Found what you're looking for?

  • Start learning 29% faster today
  • 150,000+ documents available
  • Just £6.99 a month

Not the one? Search for your essay title...
  • Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

See related essaysSee related essays

Related AS and A Level Physiological Psychology essays

  1. Marked by a teacher

    Describe and evaluate research into the stages of sleep

    4 star(s)

    Oswald 1966 who was concerned with physical restoration states that sleep restores depleted energy reserves, eliminates waste products from the muscles and repairs cells. Support for the physiological restoration theory comes from the case study of Peter Tripp where by restorations were prevented, this is clear to see as he

  2. Why do we dream?

    PSYCHOLOGICAL THEORIES: Wish Fulfilment (Freud) Describe the theory: Dreams are disguised fulfilments of desires repressed into the unconscious mind which 'protect sleep'. Freud believed that dreams have meanings and reveal important issues and conflict in a persons life, and no matter how absurd a dream appeared to be, it always has a meaning.

  1. Describe and evaluate two theories of sleep (

    NonREM is a state of sleep that is characterised by four stages that range from light dozing to deep sleep. 75% of sleep is spent in NREM. One main researcher Oswald (1970) suggested that both REM and NREM sleep is needed to restore us both physiologically and psychologically.

  2. Dreams. There are no limits when dreaming.

    After awakening from nightmares, sleeping becomes difficult and it takes a considerably long time for the brain to subside and go back to sleep. Most of the time, the majority of people forget dreams after they are awakened by their dream.

  • Over 160,000 pieces
    of student written work
  • Annotated by
    experienced teachers
  • Ideas and feedback to
    improve your own work