- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Theories of Sleep
The first 200 words of this essay...
Theories of Sleep Essay
One theory of the nature of why we sleep is that it is essential for health reasons, and sleep deprivation can seriously endanger our lives. Jouvet deprived cats from sleep (by placing them on a water lily above water; when they fell asleep the fell in the water) and found that the felines behaved 'abnormally'; one died 26 days constant deprivation. Killgore found that sleep deprivation in humans can lead to great latency in decision making. This could have serious implications for certain professions; nurses, for example, who work alternating day/night shifts, could take a long time in administering certain drugs which could endanger patients' life; or, drivers, who drive during the night and often refuse to take breaks, are endangering themselves and others on the road by doing so. These studies suggest that sleep deprivation should certainly be avoided whenever possible - but it could be argued that parts of Jouvet's research were superfluous. You don't need to be a psychologist to work out that prolonged sleep deprivation can cause lasting suffering and the death in his study could certainly have been avoided if common sense was used - i.e. how much did our
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Physiological Psychology (view all)
- Outline and Evaluate research (theories/ and studies) into t...
- Discuss research into stress-related illness and the immune ...
- I will talk about the history and what the psychological and...
- Outline and Evaluate the biological model to Abnormality.
- PSYA3 - Endogenous pacemakers and Exogenous zeitgebers
- Describe biological therapies for schizophrenia
- Research that has suggested a link between Stress and Person...
- Outline and Evaluate Psychological Stress Management Methods...
- Discuss the Biological Approach to Psychopathology
- Outline and evaluate research into short term stressors
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.