- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Experimenting with Thermocouples.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Physics and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Physics AS Level Coursework
Experimenting with Thermocouples
For my sensor coursework, I have chosen to investigate the properties of thermocouples. A thermocouple is a sensor which detects a temperature difference, and produces a very small electrical output.
"In 1822, an Estonian physician named Thomas Seebeck discovered (accidentally) that the junction between two metals generates a voltage which is a function of temperature. Thermocouples rely on this Seebeck effect. Although almost any two types of metal can be used to make a thermocouple, a number of standard types are used because they possess predictable output voltages and large temperature gradients."
Welding, or otherwise combining, two dissimilar metals can make a thermocouple. Varying the temperature of the junction where the two metals combine will produce a very small voltage and a very small current.
However, if one attempts to connect the thermocouple to a Voltmeter, another thermocouple junction is made. This is at the point of contact, where the ends of the thermocouples meet the contacts of the Voltmeter, and causes problems, as it can lead to errors in the result. To compensate for this, a technique known as cold
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Electrical & Thermal Physics (view all)
- Internal Resistance of a cell
- How the resistance of a filament bulb varies its current flo...
- Single Phase Transformer (Experiment) Report.
- Investigating the E.m.f and Internal Resistance of 2 cells o...
- Investigating The Resistance Of A Light Bulb As The Voltage ...
- Physics Case Study Solar Electric Panels
- Geothermal energy is not easily accessible with our current ...
- The objectives of this experiment are to Verify Kirchhoffs l...
- Electricity generation from renewable and non-renewable sour...
- Electrical Energy Questions and Answers
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student