- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Discuss the Evidence that Criminals Make Rational Choices
The first 200 words of this essay...
Discuss the Evidence that Criminals
Make Rational Choices
Research has shown that people who are predisposed to committing crime are more concerned about gaining the approval of peers and significant others and are more likely to believe that crime is not morally wrong, than any fear of detection, punishment, educational sanctions or even rejection by parents
The tendency to commit a crime is related to the life experiences of children and the exposure to society as they grow up.
When an individual is prone to committing a crime, he/she will become more inclined by the social norms that encourage/discourage criminal activity and they will have a need to fit in rather than a fear of reprisals.
The Rational Choice Approach is the choices we make about how to respond in certain situations, whether they are rational or not.
The two theories that explore the link between criminal intentions and actions and the Rational Choice Approach are:
Theory of Reasoned Action - proposes that the intention to commit a criminal act is determined by our attitudes and perceptions of what other significant people in our lives expect of us. Our attitudes arise out
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Crime & Deviance (view all)
- Sociological Theories on Crime and Deviance
- The chivalry thesis claims that women will be treated more l...
- Assess sociological explanations of social class differences...
- Assess the Usefulness of Official Crime Statistics to a Soci...
- Critically evaluate the contribution that the Labelling theo...
- Analyse explanations of crime and deviance and explain the i...
- Assess the view that cults and sects are fringe organisation...
- The purpose of this report is to evaluate and reflect upon m...
- Is there a single definitive policing model appropriate to p...
- Are our streets safer now? Crime rates in Scotland.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.