- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Describe and explain the reactions of Unionists groups to the Partition Treaty of 1921
The first 200 words of this essay...
a) Describe and explain the reactions of Unionists groups to the Partition Treaty of 1921
In 1918 World War 1 ended and an Irish General Election was held. Sinn Féin received the most votes. The Irish Unionist Party won 26 seats, mostly in Ulster. All 73 Sinn Féin MPs refused to go to Westminster, and instead sat in their own Parliament in Dublin. Called Dail Eireann, it first met on 21st January 1919, although it had no power to exercise.
Sinn Féin represented a vote for complete independence, which was a dramatic change because the Irish people had always voted for Home Rule before. Now Sinn Féin had won the election, they set up their own law courts, police and government. The Irish volunteers were renamed the Irish Republican Army (I.R.A). Unionists were apprehensive and scared. They feared being a united Ireland with Catholics as the majority, as they were Protestants. Whatever the Catholics wanted, would always overrule the Protestants.
In 1919, the powers in Europe sat down to redraw the boundaries of Europe. Sinn Féin attended these meetings and attempted to have Ireland included in this redrawing. They argued that Ireland should
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Northern Ireland 1965-85 (view all)
- Catholic discrimination in Northern Ireland in terms of Hous...
- What were the consequences of the 1916 Easter rising?
- Why was Ireland Partitioned in 1921?
- What Happened at Sharpeville on 21st March 1960?Massacre or ...
- Causes of the 1916 Easter Rising.
- The underlying cause of the conflict between Northern Irelan...
- Was the Hunger Strike Campaign of the 1980s the most signifi...
- Describe the disadvantages that faced Catholics in Northern ...
- How did Protestant Politicians explain the social, economic ...
- Why were the British Troops sent to Northern Ireland in Augu...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.