- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Critically discuss the three main models of Caribbean Society
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Sociology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Critically discuss the three main models of Caribbean Society.
Name: Dahlia Grosvenor
FD13A: Law, Governance, Economy and Society
Tutor: Mrs. W. Jones
Date: March 22, 2004
Each society is a product of the particular historical forces that shape it and give it form. Therefore, it is essential that in studying any society, in order to grasp a firm understanding of it, it becomes necessary to first study its origins. Throughout the vast literature about the Caribbean, three pervasive theories emerge in an attempt to explain the formation of contemporary Caribbean society. These theories or models have been titled as the Plantation society theory, the Plural society theory and the Creole society theory.
The Plantation society theory is an attempt to explain Caribbean social structure in relation to the plantation experience. The plantation experience existed in the Caribbean for over three hundred years, along with which came the institution of slavery. Until the abolitionist movement came about in the 19th century, the Caribbean society was a slave society. Its base was the production of sugar cane, which needed heavy capital investments and cheap labour. This labour constituted at first of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Political & Economic Sociology (view all)
- Do the poor only have themselves to blame for their poverty?
- The Value of Marriage: Is it Changing?
- Social policy. Making use of welfare ideologies critically e...
- Much Madness is Divinest Sense" by Emily Dickinson.
- An analysis of Isaiah Berlin's two concepts of Liberty with ...
- What criticisms are made of globalisation? Think about the ...
- Outline who are the winners and losers in a consumer society...
- The Relationship Between Economic growth and the Environment
- How and why are the Swedish and American welfare states so d...
- Provision of Microcredit in India. Who is the champion for ...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.