- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Observation Research into the behaviour, norms, values and customs of underage drinkers in a pub environment.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Observation as a method of sociological research
There are various types of observation methods available for sociologists to use ranging from structured observation to covert and overt participant observation.
Here is a closer analysis of the types of observation which exist:
* Structured observation, this is where the observer often has a schedule to make notice of amount of occurrences of particular event.
* Participant observation, is where the observer takes part in the
, where s, where the observer actually takes part in the event
Each type of observation has their advantages and disadvantages below outlines them in detail:
Observation Research into the behaviour, norms, values and customs of underage drinkers in a pub environment
* Covert/Participant observation
* Full immersion in the subject culture to avoid hawthorn effect (observer effect) which may taunt or nullify some findings
* Observation was unstructured and finding were noted mentally and written down at the nearest appropriate time. Any findings written down in the field would have compromised the covert nature of the research.
* By fully immersing ourselves in the observation the target
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Anthropology (view all)
- How do new world monkeys and old world monkeys differ?
- Essay - Perception
- And the Soul Shall Dance - a play by Wakako Yamauchi
- Compare and Contrast Ancient Egyptian and Mayan civilisation...
- Almond and Verba (1963) define three ideal types of politica...
- To what extent can human cooperative and social behaviour be...
- How have ethnographic analogies have been used in the interp...
- Article review- Deep Play/ Balinese Cockfight Clifford Geer...
- Book Review - The book, Return to Laughter is an ethnographi...
- Maori Culture. Describe mana and comment on its relevance du...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.