- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Is Labour Still Socialist Party?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Is the labour party still a socialist party?
The Labour party was created at the the trade union conference in 1886 created Labour electoral committee which changed to labour electoral association in 1887. The party was created for the needs of the working class people. Clause 4 in their constitution is an explicit commitment to socialism. Atlee continues this starting in 1945 with setting up the welfare state. 1974-79 Labour government was very weak so led to a reform in the party in the 80s.Tony Blair continued these in 1994 and changed the name to new labour which suggested move away from socialism.
Labour still have many polices that mean sharing the money giving more to the poor than to the rich. This is a very socialist policy as it concentrates on equality and the government helping its people. They do this by continuing with the welfare with policies such as child benefits and welfare to work programs. In 2008 Brown changed the top rate of income tax so that richer people will be charged more which will go towards more benefits for the poorer people.
Because the labour party has been formed from trade unions
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Political Philosophy (view all)
- Douglas McGregor's Theory X and Theory Y(1906-1964)
- Are Judges Politicians In Disguise?
- Advantages of direct and representative democracy
- Define the difference between negative and positive freedom,...
- Assess the advantages and disadvantages of direct democracy.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.