- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What is power? Power is the ability to influence others through the use of threats, sanctions or manipulation. That power is legitimate and is called authority whereas the authority is defined as rightful power
The first 200 words of this essay...
What is power?
Power is the ability to influence others through the use of threats, sanctions or manipulation. That power is legitimate and is called authority whereas the authority is defined as rightful power.
About power talks Mark Weber, a 19th century German sociologist who proposed a theory of authority that included three types. The first one, called as a Traditional Authority, is legitimated by the sanctity of tradition. Moreover, it's expected to be obedience and loyal on the grounds that established customs and traditions demand it. The second type - Charismatic Authority - talks about that people are drawn to follow the leader because of the qualities they believe he, or she, has. Weber saw a charismatic leader as the head of community. Rational- Legal Authority (which is the last type) depends upon a formal set of rules (which gives those who hold authority the right to direct and command others and to take decisions on their behalf).
Another ideologist of this term is Niccolo Machiavelli - the Italian political philosopher - who wrote an essay "The Prince". In his work he examined "mechanic of power" and rejected ideas about political authority. He argued that the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Political Philosophy (view all)
- Distinguish between the nation and the state and explain why...
- What are the Strengths and Weaknesses of Utilitarianism?
- What are the main advantages and limitations of the trait an...
- "Assess the sociological contribution of Karl Marx to a...
- Assess the advantages and disadvantages of direct democracy.
- Is socialism a relevant ideology in 2012?
- Why has the concept of humanitarian intervention provoked so...
- Explain the Impact of Globalisation
- Nationalism is inherently expansionist and destructive - dis...
- Evaluate The Circumstances In Which Pluralism Will Develop
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.