- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
A Balanced Diet.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Design and technology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
A Balanced Diet
A balanced diet is one that provides an adequate intake of energy and nutrients for maintenance of the body and therefore good health. A diet can easily be adequate for normal bodily functioning, yet may not be a balanced diet. An ideal human diet contains fat, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, water and fibre all in correct proportions. These proportions vary for each individual because everyone has different metabolic rates and levels of activity.
Malnutrition results from an unbalanced diet, this can be due to an excess of some dietary components and lack of other components, not just a complete lack of food. Too much of one component can be as much harm to the body as too little. Deficiency diseases occur when there is a lack of a specific nutrient, although some diet related disorders are a result of eating an excess.
An adequate diet provides sufficient energy for the performance of metabolic work, although the energy food is in an unspecified form. A balanced diet provides all dietary requirements in the correct proportions. Ideally this would be 1/7 fat, 1/7 protein and 5/7 carbohydrate.
Energy is provided by carbohydrates, fats and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Food Technology (view all)
- Explain the need for nutrition by living organisms.
- Write an Essay on The Importance of a Healthy Diet. Include ...
- Prevention of food poisoning.
- Home economics. Time plan for a 3 course meal
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of meat eating, for...
- Chocolate. 1) Who first created or discovered chocolate? 2)...
- This task will describe three examples of food contamination...
- What small steps can people in the UK take to becoming more ...
- Should my child have school dinners instead of packed lunche...
- My aim is to prepare a meal and compare each component with ...
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.