- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Act II, Scene II - Analyse Friel's dramatic presentation in this scene and how the scene contributes to the themes of the play as a whole.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Act II, Scene II - Analyse Friel's dramatic presentation in this scene and how the scene contributes to the themes of the play as a whole. - Adnan Abidali, 27th November 2003
The second scene of Act II plays a crucial role in underpinning the core concepts and ideas which Friel presents in this play. The stage directions are more explicit and convey particular signals. Whereas in the previous scenes language is employed to portray meanings, here we see paralinguistic elements (such as Maire's nodding, pg 62) being utilised in establishing a form of communication which is independent of language and the meanings which words signify.
Firstly we see Yolland and Maire come away from the dance and this is dramatically presented in the stage directions as: "Maire and Yolland are now down front, still holding hands and excited by their sudden and impetuous escape from the dance". This signifies far more than just their escape from the local festivities; Friel is emphasising a more profound point here. Yolland and Maire are escaping from their respective cultural and historical backgrounds, enjoying the exhilaration of being "outside" those parameters, which is also accentuated by
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Much Ado About Nothing (view all)
- Mother Courage and her children by Brecht
- Much Ado About Nothing … and love and wit and men a...
- Compare and contrast the two love stories ("Peleus and ...
- First Impressions of Beatrice and Benedick - Much ado about ...
- Love and Marriage in Much ado about nothing.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.