This report is to describe the process I went through to create a 3D model of a chosen object and to animate it using 3D Studio Max software.

Authors Avatar


2. Introduction and Original Ideas.

4. Chosen idea.

5. First steps of creation.

7. Adding more objects

9. More detail through materials.

11. Lights, camera, animation.

12. Problems during creation.

13. Answers to questions.

15. References.


This report is to describe the process I went through to create a 3D model of a chosen object and to animate it using 3D Studio Max software.  During this report I will cover the following aspects:

  • The first ideas of which I came up with, and how I originally intended to create them using 3D Studio Max.
  • My chosen idea and how I began to set out my plan to create the object.
  • The steps I progressed through during creation.  This will be the most detailed and significant part of the report.
  • Problems I had during creation and how those problems were tackled, also a few things I believe could be done better in the future.
  • Answers to questions provided by tutor as part of my assessment.

Original Ideas

To start with three ideas were very basically sketched and ideas of how they would be created were thought of.  The three electrical objects which were short-listed were:

Mobile phone:

To create this it would take a simple couple of boxes representing different components of the phone (main unit, battery, sim card), the animation would show all these come together.

Laptop computer:

The Laptop would be two simple boxes connected on a hinge, the animation would show it open and cd enter its drive.

Widescreen Television:

Again boxes would do for the general shape also applying a plane for the screen, the animation would show the T.V turn on and an image appear upon it.

Chosen Idea

The object selected was, after much deliberation, a laptop computer.  This idea was chosen for its practicality and it was the one I could see how to create most clearly. The television was firstly chosen but was then deemed slightly dull, the mobile phone was next to be chosen but I could not seem to get anywhere at first while trying to create it.  So then came the laptop, my own laptop seemed the most sensible to model.  The decision to measure it’s every dimension was the first step, thinking that this would give it an extra edge of realism. Displayed below are the laptops dimensions which would be very slightly adjusted during creation:

Base: 32.5 cm Width, 27 cm Length, 3 cm Height.

Top Section:33 cm Width, 27 cm Length, 1.5 cm Height.

Keys: 2 cm Width, 2 cm Length.

Cd Tray: 12 cm Length, 10 cm Width, 0.6 cm Height.

Once these measurements were completed the creation process could commence.

First Steps Of Creation

The base was the logical starting point, so in the top view a box standard primitive was drawn.  The parameters were manually changed to length270, width325, height 30.  These were the dimensions measured (x10) to make it a more appropriate size to work with, this ratio would be applied to the rest of the objects measured.  The colour was changed to black and the box was renamed ‘base’ Fig(1.1).  

Fig 1.1

Next to be created was the top section to hold the screen.  A standard primitive box was used again, with parameters of length 270, width 330, height 15.  It was coloured black and renamed ‘top section’.  The object was then converted to an editable mesh to enable the next stage, bevelling the top polygon to give the desired effect of slanted edges.  The screen then had to be added to this box.  A box was used with parameters of approx length 240, width 304, height 2, and was moved directly over the already created top section. These are approximate measurements as the parameters had to be slightly adjusted using the spinners until it looked to fit perfect.  This object was then renamed ‘screen’ and colour changed to grey for now.  The ‘top section’ and ‘screen’ were then grouped together under another relevant name (Fig1.2).

Join now!


The objects I had just created had to be then merged with the previously created ‘base’.  This was done by saving the two separated objects in different files and then using the ‘merge’ function.  The next part to create was the two hinges and the lip to hold them, located on both the ‘base’ and ‘top section’.  This was an awkward part to create but would help the two objects inter-link more realistically.  To do this the base was firstly converted to an editable mesh, cuts were made on the top polygon of the base in ...

This is a preview of the whole essay