• Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

Conflict for oil: Iraq

Extracts from this document...


Iraq's Energy Resources Iraq was the world's 13th largest oil producer in 2008, and has the world's third largest proven petroleum reserves after Saudi Arabia and Canada. Approximately 94% of Iraq's energy demands are met by the use of petroleum. According to the Oil and Gas journal, Iraq's proven oil reserves are 115 billion barrels, but this figure hasn't been revised since 2001. Iraq has 9 fields that are considered "super giants", that being containing over 5 billion barrels, and 22 known "giant fields", containing over 1 billion barrels. In 2008, Iraq exported over 1.8 billion barrels a day. The majority of oil exports go to refineries in Asia, including China and India. According to Oil and Gas Journal, Iraq's proven natural gas reserves are 112 trillion cubic feet. This represents only 5% of Iraq's total energy consumption, with the other 95% being oil. ...read more.


Iraq's Regime Iraq has a strong political position due to the vast amount of oil it exports. Iraq had been part of the Ottoman Empire but After World War 1; Iraq was put under a mandate overlooked by Great Britain. As a result, oil concessions were made and GB controlled the Turkish petroleum company, who had an incredibly strong influence in Iraq, meaning threat before the coup of 1941 Britain controlled oil exports. The Turkish petroleum company's old influence is now controlled by The Iraq Petroleum Company. However, the old ties to Great Britain do not remain. The current regime still has obviously strong links with the US, even though American presence in the country is diminishing, after the (relative) peace of the last few years, although violence is still a regular occurrence, meaning that large oil companies are keen to stay away. ...read more.


Both of these countries are too strong to invade and politically dominate. Mahmud Ahmadinejad (Iran) and King Abdullah (Saudi Arabia) are politically dominant and therefore too difficult to seize power from. The West is extremely reliant upon oil and thus knew it had to secure resources of said oil as soon as possible. With Iran and Saudi Arabia being too strong, Iraq seemed a likely option. In 2003, Saddam Hussein's regime was ready for the taking and the idea of "weapons of mass destruction", although potentially plausible, was used as an excuse for the invasion. Note this is a cynical view that has been put forward by many top Politicians. It was hoped that the USA could gain control of Iraq's oil, modernise it with increased investment ($2.05 billion is to be put towards this modernisation next month) and thus obtain a secure and stable supply of oil. This clearly shows that Iraq's resources have lead to a huge amount of geopolitical activity, ultimately culminating in a war. ...read more.

The above preview is unformatted text

This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our AS and A Level Environmental Management section.

Found what you're looking for?

  • Start learning 29% faster today
  • 150,000+ documents available
  • Just £6.99 a month

Not the one? Search for your essay title...
  • Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

See related essaysSee related essays

Related AS and A Level Environmental Management essays

  1. This investigation focuses on an area of the west bank of the medina estuary ...

    piles of litter there are much less birds especially compared to other areas. However the majority of birds in other areas are Herring gulls, which are not as likely to be found at Stag Lane because it is not located directly next to the estuary as are the other sites where these birds are found.

  2. Environmental Audit Assignment: The Company that I am analysing is BP (British Petroleum).

    It was the first commercial oil discovery in the Middle East. In 1909, Anglo-Persian Oil was formed to develop the oil field. Later renamed as British Petroleum, the company's name was shortened to BP to reflect a continuing global expansion.

  1. How our society uses crude oil.

    Our society is fully dependant on Crude oil, and would be at a complete loss without it. Even though we may not know it, we use petroleum on a daily basis. There are problems with petroleum that result from its use. In transporting oil, accidents do happen.

  2. Managing Conflict in Wilderness Areas.

    Needless to say the plans did not go ahead. On a much smaller scale the local government in the Lake District are keen to keep tourists flowing into the area which will not only generate a huge revenue but keep a lot of local people in employment.

  • Over 160,000 pieces
    of student written work
  • Annotated by
    experienced teachers
  • Ideas and feedback to
    improve your own work